Thursday, 14 April 2016

Lovemyartjewelry - bloghop

  
 


Today I'm joining in with lovemyartjewelry who are hosting a blog hop in tribute to David Bowie. I'm enjoying exploring making vessels in metal clay at the moment, so I came up with an idea to make a 'keeper of secrets' talisman type thing...a nod to Bowie being a very private person behind the scenes.  At home, I have a tiny little puppet in one of my vintage display cabinets that I took the idea from to form my vessel.  If you pull the string from either end the hat goes on or off....


Here she is...2 inches tall!

...so for the talisman, the thread keeps the lid on and it can be pulled up to put something inside.

Talisman in green ware stage







For such a small object, it still took a couple of days to construct and then an epic 9 hours in the kiln so I'm happy that it actually survived the long firing. I loved the colours when I retrieved it from the carbon and was tempted to keep it like that ...



Beautiful patina when just dug out of the carbon

...but in the end I polished it up and gave it a heat patina.  There are some improvements and adaptations that can be made for the next one - soldering on a loop underneath to hang some dangles from for example, but I'm happy with my first attempt and relieved that I had something to contribute today...


Bronze Clay 'Secret Keeper'


Bronze Clay 'Secret Keeper' - open


***Lloyd - no one could have been a bigger fan of Bowie than you, so thank you for taking me to see him perform live at Murrayfield in Edinburgh back in 1983.  I remember people looking at you and nudging their pals because you looked so much like him.  You were only a little bit vain about it!! I bet you're over the moon that you have such good company up there with you now...xx***

I hope you enjoyed your visit, come back soon and to get back to lovemyartjewelry click here...